The vast majority of people in our culture have overly tight hip flexors due to the demands that our culture places on the workforce. Knowing how to properly stretch an overly tight psoas, or hip flexor will undoubtedly help protect your back.
We spend our days sitting at the office, sitting in school, sitting in your car, watching movies, surfing the internet, which will create muscle imbalances. These imbalances will disrupt the proper mechanics of the spine and thus will lead to an increase in the probability of accelerating the wear and tear process of the spine.
This stretch will give you the ability and control of helping yourself to protect your spine from repetitive strain injuries. The stretch is the easiest with a partner, as it becomes too cumbersome and difficult to do this particular stretch on your own.
HIP FLEXOR STRETCH
Your hips are the bridge between your upper body and lower body. They are at the center of your body’s movement. Sitting within the well of your hip and lower spine is the psoas major muscle, one of the two muscles that make up the iliopsoas. It’s often called the “mighty” psoas (pronounced so-az) for the many important functions it plays in the movement of your body.
The psoas is the only muscle in the human body connecting the upper body to the lower body. The muscle attaches to the vertebrae of the lower spine, moves through the pelvis and connects to a tendon at the top of the femur. It also attaches to the diaphragm, so it’s connected to your breathing, and upon it sits all the major organs.
A functioning psoas muscle creates a neutral pelvic alignment, stabilizes the hips, supports the lower spine and abdomen, supports the organs in the pelvic and abdominal cavity and gives you greater mobility and core strength.
When your tight hip flexors function well, they have the power to:
– help you achieve peak performance day after day after day.
– rapidly drop ugly body fat that stubbornly clings to your body.
– train harder, heavier and gain strength faster than you thought possible.
– hit your peak of sexual health.
– flood your mind and body with renewed energy and vigor.
Here are 3 great tight hip flexors stretch you can do:
#1. Psoas stretch over the bolster
-Place a bolster or rolled up yoga mat underneath your hips.
– Bend both knees into your chest, so your back is rounded towards the ground.
– Hug the right knee in and slowly reach the left leg out. Pause when you feel a tug down the front of the left hip.
– For an extra stretch, reach the left arm overhead. Continue to sink your ribs to the ground and hug the right leg tightly. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the second leg.
#2. Prone (face down) hip flexor stretch
-Lie on your stomach with legs a few inches apart and your forehead resting on your hands.
– Gently press your pubic bone towards the ground to lengthen out the low back. Bend your right knee and catch your right ankle with your right hand. If you have to arch your back to do this, use a strap instead.
– Keeping the knees close to one another (or if possible touching), continue to imprint your pubic bone towards the floor, so you feel a stretch down the front of your right leg.
-Hold for 30 seconds and repeat the second side.
#3. Kneeling hip flexor stretch
– Come to kneeling with your right leg forward.
– Gently tuck your pelvis, so your pubic bone moves towards your rib cage and your low back flattens.
– Slowly shift your weight towards your right leg and pause when you feel a gentle stretch in the front of your left hip.
– For a greater stretch, reach your left arm overhead and lean to the right. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat the second side.
These hip flexor exercises will help you with:
1. More strength, faster gains – having looser hips increases speed and strength, which combine to give you power. When you increase power, you increase performance in sports and competition.
2. In sports, all of your power comes from the hips. The hip flexor stretches will enable you to: Sleep like a baby – one of the most powerful effects of the program is giving you back a good night’s sleep. When your body is better aligned, less discomfort means better sleep for your body to rejuvenate so you feel fresher, stronger and full of energy.
3. When you unlock your tight hip flexors, you will also: Stop writing checks to your therapist – you’ll no longer have to make those expensive trips to your therapist for them to treat the same old injury or pain over again. By treating the root cause, you’ll save a small fortune in treatment bills.
4. Get back in the gym- no more laying off in the vain hope your condition will get better by itself. After just a few days of doing the sequential flow of Unlocking Your Tight Hip Flexors, you’ll feel much better, stronger and ready to return to the gym.
5. Throw out those painkillers – no longer will you need to down pill after pill to stave off the pain in your back, legs, and hips.
Show your love if you liked the post, share it with your friends and family to let them, groom. And don’t forget to join softiview to get updated to more awesome posts like this!
Thanks for reading…